Skip to main content

Buttercream Roses

I'M hooked. Like majorly hooked on whipping out buttercream and icing it. So I'm always baking these days. The joy of being able to play with colours and sugar to create pretty, yummy edibles that brighten up my day as much as they make many more happy is awesome. Right now, I'm just experimenting with various buttercream recipes, buttercream roses, perfecting the techniques and trying to establish some semblance of order in the kitchen while I work with butter and cream, sugar and spice. Working with this frosting during summer is quite a challenge as I really dislike having the air-conditioning on. I've no choice though if I want to have a nice, stable batch. 


The early roses. You can tell they're messy. 

Practice led to these


...And then, I ran out of icing. 


So I felt like flattening those roses and I did !

Here's a basic buttercream recipe that I love. It's wicked, the kind of #badfood you'd want to keep in your life as a treat. 

140g butter, softened
280g icing sugar, sieved
1 - 2 tbsp cream
1 tsp vanilla extract ( use a good one)
A pinch of salt
Food colouring, if you like.

* Makes around 22 roses. 

Cream butter. Add in icing sugar and beat till smooth and creamy. Throw in salt, vanilla and cream. Beat and ice. Go make someone happy !



Comments

  1. Looks great, but won't help your heart stay healthy. Is there a version with low saturated fat margarine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no, it won't, GB ! but i don't believe in those low saturated fat margarine. fake stuff.

      Delete
  2. Those are beautiful and they look so delicious.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really wish I could be eating some of this right now, looks incredible, I can tell why you're addicted, mmm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'd pass you some if you're here. that's what i've been doing with all these bakes :)

      Delete
  4. Gosh, i posted a comment... hope it went through!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wahhh when me and Dawn will get to taste those lovely delights...boxed some for us from Dubai!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'm sure you guys are constantly getting boxes of this and more at your office!
      LOL. miss those.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. qatar isn't too bad, Duncan. it's a matter of getting used to the culture and people here. my life is pretty sedentary right now as compared to how it was back home though :p
      hope all is well with you and family !

      Delete
  7. Jaya, as you know, I think those rose cup cakes are simply divine. I think you should send them to me :)

    You are a true artist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh wow. thanks, Juliette. i'm just a hobbyist with many interests.
      :D

      Delete
  8. This is the perfect thing for me once I get established enough to afford air conditioning. I'm always baking something or another. I hope my roses can turn out as pretty as yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and when you do, pass some over :p

      Delete
  9. Talented! you could submit these to a baking magazine or t.v show.
    It's a real art to get the icing to replicate the reality of the flowers i would imagine.
    When i was a child i used to love carrot cake, it's shaved carrots in it. They don't stick whole ones in!

    These cakes look more like sculptures- great work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh thanks Jon. it's very simple, really but it does take some practice. i used to love carrot cakes too when i was younger but it's no longer a favourite. my fav is a good strawberry cake :)

      Delete
  10. So fancy! I don't think I could bring myself to eat a properly made rose.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jaya,

    The roses looks real.. so if definately your newly acquired skill that shines thru. just like whatever you do.

    love, april.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Mean One

WHAT do I do without prompts during sluggish times like this. Thanks to Mama Kat's. I'd share something mean someone had said to me once, and why it has stuck with me after all these years.  You know how some people are plain weird ? The type that others would avoid simply because it's the easy way out around them? I've always thought that some of these individuals are just lonely and they could do with company once in a while. That's how I ended up spending some tea breaks with Madam X because most people just avoided her. So yeah. I took pity. Madam X was a smart lady with just too many personal issues that sometimes screwed up her talents. Often in a dreamy state, she loved talking about the drama that went on in her life and I'd always just listened. She also frequently went off topic and lectured about randoms things like what's inside a computer or the circuit of an electrical device. Now that's clearly not my cup of tea but I'd alway...

Grey Skies and Feeling Blue

Love the pink against the blue  I love this photograph. A friend had put it up on Facebook recently and I fell in love with it  immediately . Blue skies to me, spell nice things and put me in an instant cheery mood. Along with the warmth of the sun on my skin and some wind in my hair, it's easier to smile and look forward to things in a positive light. It gives hope.  Not good at all  The current haze that we're experiencing here is just very disturbing in every way. They say it's due to a forest fire in Indonesia but it feels more like the whole country had burned down or something. The Indonesians must have lungs of steel to withstand a nuclear blast if I can feel this way being 900 miles away from them. My sky is a constant blur of grey it doesn't look well at all. The air has a smoky smell to it and for me, smoky is only good in your BBQ meals. The visibility is as if the Kuala Lumpur skyline has been magically erased off my bedroom window ...

Musical Influences

IT'S a Sunday and I wish I could sing. I was never the singing sort or had a talent for anything musical despite coming from a musically-inclined family. Growing up with lots of music around me, I'd managed to block them all out to some degree. Why? Probably there was too much of it. But some music have stayed on. Like that of Michael Jackson. It didn't help that a family friend at that time just happened to resemble the pop king so much - you know, the look he'd spotted after the first two cosmetic surgeries : still very much him, but just with better defined features without the bleach? Was listening to an album earlier and I've just realised how much I miss MJ's voice. This just makes me want to reach out and touch the edge of that voice to see if it's for real.  I also couldn't block out Boney M (or Abba for that matter). My grandma played them way too much for me to stop their music from sneaking up into my system and staying there fore...