Skip to main content

Kurang Ajar

I figured Rude Malaysians need a label of their own since there are so many out there. At food stalls, posh restaurants, ticket counters, government offices, on the road and communal living arrangements such at condominiums, testing on decent Malaysians'sanity. It's an ugly phenomenon, really.

For a long time, I chose to ignore and avoid such people but these days, I just speak out loud and tell to their faces of their rudeness. My rational is that maybe they are not aware of it so by telling them, they might realise something (and in my own straight-faced, demonic effort to hurt their ego!). I don't know if it works to move them from a lifetime of cutting queus and speaking at a rude decibel in hospital wards, but the idea is to basically get them thinking (if they think at all) of their actions.  
Under this label, I will be relating stories of my rude encounters as I go on my daily chores.

A few days ago, I was in my neighbourhood Pasar Malam in Selayang, shopping for food. Got myself some Char Kway Teow and then stopped at a stall that sold Fried Yam. A young girl of about 16 was helping her dad sell the freshly fried offerings. As I stood looking at the Yam-filled tray, this took place.

Rude Girl: Hoi, Apa Mau ? ( What do you want?)

Me       : Ini, Satu. (One of this)

Rude Girl, then quickly shoved one piece into a plastic bag and handed over to me. I checked if there was sauce packets and upon finding none, I reached to take one for myself. Since it was a micro-mini packet, I took two packets. At this point, Rude Girl grabbed the sauce off my hand and shouted this. The even Ruder Father, encouraged it by scolding along.  

Rude Girl: Beli satu pun mau cili kah ! (Do you need   chillies for only a piece?)

Me       : Macam ini jangan buat business la. Saya tak mau beli. (If you treat your costumers like this, you should stop doing business, I am not buying your Yam )

I gave back the Yam, and Rude Girl returned my money. Ruder Father said something derogratory in their secret language and I walked away. Looking back, I found a word that fit Rude Girl best - Kurang Ajar.
Aptly describes her.

Comments

  1. Mutiara Lee30 October, 2010

    Should have just yelled back and said, "kalau mau tak tahu bikin business, tutup kedai bodoh" hahahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. seriously, i was tempted to, but it was not worth fighting them la.
    :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Healing With Essential Oils

OILS and I go a long way. My mom used a lot of oil on me, growing up. As a teenager, baby oil was my go-to daily face moisturiser. I didn't know then what I know now about synthetic oils but it worked for me. In my early 20s, I fell in love with pure essential oils. I was introduced to the world of Culpeper during work. Then, I was gifted a 50ml bottle of jojoba base oil with two precious bottles of 10ml rose and geranium essentials oils courtesy of Culpeper. I was set for life and I've never looked back ever since. 

Over the years, I have depended on and dwelled solely in beauty oils. Recently, I've started learning about healing through essential oils. It's been a huge eye-opener for me. Essential oils are just not skin deep, they're simply so much more than that. The potent substances extracted through steam distillation from various shrubs, flowers, roots, skin and seeds could have incredible healing powers when used with sensitivity, respect and knowledge. It i…

The Fenty Foundation

I'm breaking the silence for you, Blue Grumpster, with a foundation review, though I'm afraid that Fenty Beauty may not have that cool, sarky blue shade that you are. I can only hope that you're yellow - like me because, let me tell ya, there's a whole lot of delicious, warm shades in that collection of 40 colours. 



So, I've been wearing this stuff for a few days, presenting myself in various, albeit, tropical weather conditions. And, here's what I think. 

Light and non-greasy. Well, it's soft matte. In fact, I expected it to be dry, and flaking off of my skin by midday, but it doesn't. It's light enough for me to gradually build in the kind of coverage I'm looking for, and more importantly, the foundation stays - on my skin, at least. I don't even need to set it with powder, and I love how it refuses to dislodge from my skin, even after a massive sweat session. Truth is, this is probably why I think it's good for me; I'm always sweati…

Hello 2017!

At least this update comes (way) before the first anniversary of my last post. I can live with that. This blog receives a timely jump-start every time I think it's not going to make it. But looking back, I've posted annually since 2010. That isn't too bad considering how I had created it out of complete boredom. So, that can only mean one thing; I've been busy. 

Freelance work was fun for as long as I wanted it but it also made me feel like a hippie. I had too much time on my hands, a wandering mind and a bad neck. That wasn't good, to say the least, but I did enjoy the evenings outdoor, discovering new paths in the quiet forest area not far from where we live, and the freedom I had with time and travel. I spent time like it was some loose change I always had at hand. And then, sometime in mid September, there was a call for work. I felt the conflict in my heart and head. To take the job, or not, because apart from my jungle time sacrifice, there were other things a…