Skip to main content

The Nightmare That Is Job Hunting

In the midst of job applications, and I thought I'd detour since the laptop is already on my lap. It's just me procrastinating on the grownup things I should be doing like looking for jobs, making lunch, cleaning the balcony, combing my hair and decluttering the common shelf - yes, the dreaded hidden clutter and it's not even a year yet since we walked into this house with just three luggages. 

Do you know that I had applied for 155 jobs on LinkedIn alone in the past 6 years? Yet the two roles I held during the period were not from those applications. A whopping 155 applications and none materialised. Most employers don't even send rejection email - I don't know if that's kind or cruel but it sure is nice to get some form of feedback for the effort put into the tedious applications. Section after section of information to fill in AFTER a resume upload along with a cover letter which already contains all of those info. Some applications even come with tests or extra questions to prove your eligibility for the job. Why? You're not even shortlisted yet. 

I did get some enquiries from recruiters based on my profile but those weren't good for me. Or for them. Either I was experiencing a moment of high at work during the period that I was reluctant to leave, or a desperate company was just looking to replace someone who had left them high and dry in the middle of a mega project. The latter, I imagine, is the worst way to get employed. Think of the mess you have to clean up and they'd usually expect you to "hit the ground running", a phrase that should only be used to describe a paraglider landing.  

I'm not a picky hunter. I love living too much to chase a high profile position. But I do like to have a job I love and do it well in a community of people I could learn from and with, and in the process drive a difference in one way or another while contributing to that facelift fund. Sure I may lack the experience needed in some of these jobs I've applied/ applying for but whatever happened to that need for a "resilient team-player with great interpersonal skills and an eye for detail who is also a quick learner". 
Hey, that is me. 


Here is a recent picture of me living life in Queenstown. 





Comments

  1. The older I get, the more I realize life is getting less personal and less polite. Dehumanization resulting from advances in technology, our latest drug. You see it everywhere. In shops, in movie theaters, at the airport or when applying for a job. It's so unhealthy.

    Good to hear from you again.

    Blue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enters ChatGPT! Did you have to address this with your students? You're right, Blue. The world has become less polite. Can't really speak your mind anymore in good conscience or you run the risk of getting cancelled.

      Long way from home, but come visit us in Australia :)

      Delete
    2. The trick is to keep speaking your mind even if it means losing losing friends or relatives. You have to be able to look in the mirror and like what you see. It's funny how the internet has made us walk on egg shells. They can go sit on a stick and call it a day. Just saying. Good times breed weak people. Weak people breed bad times. Bad times breed strong people.

      Delete
  2. It’s amazing how we accumulate things. If we have a space we tend to fill it.

    I feel your pain, J. That’s a lot of applications and I’ve heard that many companies don’t even write back. Apparently they are so inundated they don’t have the time or resources to. However, I’m sure it can’t be that difficult to compile a short and pleasant e-mail to the unsuccessful. There’s nothing worse than waiting for an answer. Don't worry - the right thing will come along and in the meantime keep enjoying life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the nice words, Jules. I believe in that too - the right thing will come along. I'm just a bit impatient and I guess there's the lesson I'm meant to learn in the process. Speaking about things....I just went out and bought another 4 pots of succulent today :p

      Delete
    2. I KNEW Jules would be the next one to post a comment. Hello Jules. Hello Jaya J.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

An Award on Oscar Day

THANKS for the Kreativ Blogger award on Oscar Day,  Queen Bee . It is sweet to pin a badge like this here and since this is my first award, it's all the more sweet.  With this, I'm required to list out ten random things about myself and later tag six other favourite bloggers.  Let's start with the 10 Random Things :)  1) Diamonds are not for me.  I admire jewelry (fine or otherwise) but I'm not in love with them enough to want to own them. My favourite jewelry is a pair of white pearl stud earrings.  2) I drink water for breakfast, lunch, tea and dinner. It's just a good habit I can't break. I usually write with a bottle of water next to me instead of a mug of coffee.  3) I love balms . Nothing calms me better than a nice balm. It reminds me of my grandma, clears my mind, and puts me to sleep.  4) I keep a hammer in my bedroom.  It came in handy TWICE when the lock jammed. I broke it and set me free. My mother was petrified with the knowledge that m

From Doha, With Love : Minimal Changes

SO I've been to Doha a few times already by now. Minimal or no changes at all on this flat land of sand and sandstorms, except that the population seemed to have increased by god-knows-how-many-folds judging from the volume of people seen at the popular Souk Waqif in the city centre two days ago. It's like people have multiplied like the sea sands. The last few times I was there, I remember liking the place for what it was - a perfect venue to people-watch, smoke Shisha and be a tourist. Now I don't know if that's a good thing... ...if there aren't enough social venues for this astounding volume! Perhaps, I'm a little spoiled coming from a city where food is available 24 hours a day, with freedom of alcohol consumption at random bistros and cafes and to do just about everything I wished for in a cultural setting that doesn't stare at me like I'm some kind of a three-eyed monster. I suppose people here are just a curious bunch given the potpourri of

The Mean One

WHAT do I do without prompts during sluggish times like this. Thanks to Mama Kat's. I'd share something mean someone had said to me once, and why it has stuck with me after all these years.  You know how some people are plain weird ? The type that others would avoid simply because it's the easy way out around them? I've always thought that some of these individuals are just lonely and they could do with company once in a while. That's how I ended up spending some tea breaks with Madam X because most people just avoided her. So yeah. I took pity. Madam X was a smart lady with just too many personal issues that sometimes screwed up her talents. Often in a dreamy state, she loved talking about the drama that went on in her life and I'd always just listened. She also frequently went off topic and lectured about randoms things like what's inside a computer or the circuit of an electrical device. Now that's clearly not my cup of tea but I'd alway