Skip to main content

Malaysia On 10 May 2018

I felt it in the air on the morning of May 10, 2018, I swear. The air felt fresher, the sky looked calmer, trees greener, and people, nicer. It was like a spell had been broken, and the evil forces, banished and put in their places, and good prevailed. I could breathe better. I sensed the jubilation in the quiet, morning atmosphere. The heaviness I felt in my heart the night before had vanished. Never did I imagine that I would live to experience that day and moment in history in my lifetime. And, so did every Malaysian who were on their knees and toes, doing all they could for this change of government to happen through the 14th general election on May 9. Truth to be told, I never doubted for a second that the opposition could take over.'s the but that bothered us too much because electoral fraud was a threat greater than your mother-in-law during the period. 

I spoke to my family that morning. My mom was ecstatic on the phone. "Have you heard?". "Oh, I have". Dad was too. So were the others at home, and friends. We stayed in glued to the news channels for updates because this was unprecedented. The old government had been in power for over 60 years since the independence from the British in 1957. So, we didn't know what to expect next, or if the old prime minister would even concede and if there would be riots or martial law in place. Tension started to build up again. Then at midday, the former prime minister conceded, and we breathed again in relief. Now, the new prime minister - when was he going to be sworn in? This was tricky because the man was a former PM (in office from 1981 - 2003) who went into retirement, and returned in recent years as an opposition with a mission to save the country from the depth of debt and corruption. The pre-election plan was for him to be the PM if the opposition won. And, so we waited. We caught on online news sites that he was already at the Royal Palace for the ceremony which was scheduled for 5pm. Two hours later, there was still no news. Then, it was 9pm - the country was growling in suspense, questioning why. It shouldn't take that long for a ceremony. Finally at about 10pm, the cameras shifted and zoomed into the ceremonial venue, and we watched it as it all happened. Nine-two year-old Tun Dr. Mahathir Mohamad was rightfully sworn in as the seventh prime minister of Malaysia - and in that moment, the Malaysian social media platforms burst into one, massive celebratory podium at a scale I've never experienced before. I still get goosebumps from reliving that moment and the days leading to it. 

Dr. Mahathir. Photo credit: Bernama

We celebrated this quietly at a friend's place in the city centre, overlooking the Twin Towers. How symbolic. This home of mine has been given a second chance at life. It's been two weeks now and I'm loving this new-found voice that we have. And, I hope that Malaysia will use this chance wisely for a better tomorrow and that democracy will never be mismanaged again. Ever.   


  1. How old? And did you say "electoral fraud was a threat greater than your mother-in-law during the period"? I tremble as I write this.

    So this is what it takes to finally hear from you again? Yes, lots of questions from Blue (and his blue suede shoe), who is happy for you.

    1. hahahaha. my MIL is lovely though. ask away! May 10 had to be recorded for so many reasons -- you know, if history says otherwise 50 years from now. But ask away, Blue! good to have you here.

    2. I'm just happy to hear from you. As if you didn't know.

    3. Welcome back, Jaya! And with such uplifting news :)

    4. Good news indeed, Jules :)


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Do You Feel The Same?

I noticed that I'm only propelled to write when I'm unhappy, sad or desolate - basically whenever my heart is burdened by some of what life has thrown at me. That's one of the main reasons why I haven't been writing on here often in the recent years. I want to be remembered as this fresh-spirited, witty and uncomplicated narrator. But it's so hard to write about the jolly things in life when my mind is tangled up so much in a web of worries. I don't want sappy tales of my life floating about in the world wide web long after I'm gone. And yet, I find myself most comfortable indulging in unhappiness. Or rather it's easier to relate to conflicts, physical pain and loss than to all the other things that I should be happy about. Does that make any sense to you? 

Or is this mid-life crisis? 

Healing With Essential Oils

OILS and I go a long way. My mom used a lot of oil on me, growing up. As a teenager, baby oil was my go-to daily face moisturiser. I didn't know then what I know now about synthetic oils but it worked for me. In my early 20s, I fell in love with pure essential oils. I was introduced to the world of Culpeper during work. Then, I was gifted a 50ml bottle of jojoba base oil with two precious bottles of 10ml rose and geranium essentials oils courtesy of Culpeper. I was set for life and I've never looked back ever since. 

Over the years, I have depended on and dwelled solely in beauty oils. Recently, I've started learning about healing through essential oils. It's been a huge eye-opener for me. Essential oils are just not skin deep, they're simply so much more than that. The potent substances extracted through steam distillation from various shrubs, flowers, roots, skin and seeds could have incredible healing powers when used with sensitivity, respect and knowledge. It i…

Hello 2017!

At least this update comes (way) before the first anniversary of my last post. I can live with that. This blog receives a timely jump-start every time I think it's not going to make it. But looking back, I've posted annually since 2010. That isn't too bad considering how I had created it out of complete boredom. So, that can only mean one thing; I've been busy. 

Freelance work was fun for as long as I wanted it but it also made me feel like a hippie. I had too much time on my hands, a wandering mind and a bad neck. That wasn't good, to say the least, but I did enjoy the evenings outdoor, discovering new paths in the quiet forest area not far from where we live, and the freedom I had with time and travel. I spent time like it was some loose change I always had at hand. And then, sometime in mid September, there was a call for work. I felt the conflict in my heart and head. To take the job, or not, because apart from my jungle time sacrifice, there were other things a…