Skip to main content

Berries and Petals

I baked a cake for a friend's birthday party today. More than the baking, I enjoyed icing this cake. It's a simple vanilla cake with vanilla buttercream. The idea for decoration comes from a cake Chef Lorraine Pascale made. It's a white cake with little flowers constructed from raspberries and almond flakes. So pretty and whimsical, just the kind of cake that'd make me happy if it was presented to me on my birthday. 

I had so much fun decorating and re-decorating the cake while munching on berries, almonds and cream. I used red berries for raspberries as I found them to be more delicate for the flower effect. Red on white is one of my all time favourite combinations and not just at Christmas. 

The final look. Whimsical. 
White and Red 

I started off with a scale-like design along the side. Since I had some extra buttercream, I decided to continue a row on the top too. With the space left on the face, I constructed a few flowers. When done, I stood back and didn't like what I saw. Too messy. Too much going on for a smallish cake. I felt claustrophobic just by looking at it. So, I carefully de-constructed the flowers, flattened the bumpy designs and filled the entire face with just flowers. That is all that's needed after all! 

Messy disaster


xx

Comments

  1. I think it's beautiful and not one bit messy.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Janie. you're kind. the last pic is though :)

      Delete
  2. Very cute - you're good at that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm impressed and Ms Bollywood Princess is impressed too. It looks great. Here's a cake she made back in the day: CLICK! Too bad she gave up on starting her own cake business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Blue and Mrs.! i can't access the link unfortunately. would love to see it :) i'm sure it's gorgeous!

      Delete
    2. How odd. Let me try that again: CLICK!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Mean One

WHAT do I do without prompts during sluggish times like this. Thanks to Mama Kat's. I'd share something mean someone had said to me once, and why it has stuck with me after all these years.  You know how some people are plain weird ? The type that others would avoid simply because it's the easy way out around them? I've always thought that some of these individuals are just lonely and they could do with company once in a while. That's how I ended up spending some tea breaks with Madam X because most people just avoided her. So yeah. I took pity. Madam X was a smart lady with just too many personal issues that sometimes screwed up her talents. Often in a dreamy state, she loved talking about the drama that went on in her life and I'd always just listened. She also frequently went off topic and lectured about randoms things like what's inside a computer or the circuit of an electrical device. Now that's clearly not my cup of tea but I'd alway...

Grey Skies and Feeling Blue

Love the pink against the blue  I love this photograph. A friend had put it up on Facebook recently and I fell in love with it  immediately . Blue skies to me, spell nice things and put me in an instant cheery mood. Along with the warmth of the sun on my skin and some wind in my hair, it's easier to smile and look forward to things in a positive light. It gives hope.  Not good at all  The current haze that we're experiencing here is just very disturbing in every way. They say it's due to a forest fire in Indonesia but it feels more like the whole country had burned down or something. The Indonesians must have lungs of steel to withstand a nuclear blast if I can feel this way being 900 miles away from them. My sky is a constant blur of grey it doesn't look well at all. The air has a smoky smell to it and for me, smoky is only good in your BBQ meals. The visibility is as if the Kuala Lumpur skyline has been magically erased off my bedroom window ...

Musical Influences

IT'S a Sunday and I wish I could sing. I was never the singing sort or had a talent for anything musical despite coming from a musically-inclined family. Growing up with lots of music around me, I'd managed to block them all out to some degree. Why? Probably there was too much of it. But some music have stayed on. Like that of Michael Jackson. It didn't help that a family friend at that time just happened to resemble the pop king so much - you know, the look he'd spotted after the first two cosmetic surgeries : still very much him, but just with better defined features without the bleach? Was listening to an album earlier and I've just realised how much I miss MJ's voice. This just makes me want to reach out and touch the edge of that voice to see if it's for real.  I also couldn't block out Boney M (or Abba for that matter). My grandma played them way too much for me to stop their music from sneaking up into my system and staying there fore...