Skip to main content

From Paris, With Love: Meeting the Scotts

A French friend of mine once told me that I had an old soul beneath the young countenance. Rejean Fontaine, whom I had met at a birthday party several years ago, said he saw it in my eyes, hence I attracted older people. Trust that pick-up line from a charming French man but when I look back today, Rejean was probably right. Most of my friends (Rejean included) are older people, if not senior citizens, and I love them all. I'm particularly fond of senior citizens -there is something about them that's endearing. I love listening to them, to their stories of the past and present, even if they forget and repeat them a few times over.

So befrending the Scotts during the second day of our holiday in Paris was a pleasure indeed. My husband and I bumped into the elderly Welsh couple while on a L' Open Tour bus (hop-on hop-off), which took us to the North of the city. Angela and Alistair had been on the Orient Express from London earlier, and they were spending three days in Paris. It was easy to be around the couple. They were chatty, funny, and unpretentious, and I immediately took a liking to them. Waiting for the L'Open tour buses got us talking more as the buses were not  on time, unlike tours of the same kind by the Big Bus Tour in London and Dubai that have buses making stops at every 10 or 15 mins despite the city traffic.


Alistair, Angela and I
The Scotts used to run a bakery before they retired in the recent years.
"We used to work for them Carrefour before we started our bakery," said Alistair as he pointed out at the French hypermarket when we passed by it.
Angela has been a vegetarian for over 40 years, but Alistair's been loving his meat just the same.     
"Pork chop and vegetables, I'd go for the pork of course," he said, with a lit Malboro between his fingers. 
But vegetarian food could be tasty too, Angela added.  
"It's in the spices. Flavour the greens. When I invite people over, I cook as many vegetarian dishes. People are skeptical at first, but they go back knowing that vegetables can be tasty too," she says. 
Travelling as a vegetarian in a city like Paris, however, was a challenge for Angela. She recounted an incident when the couple had dined at a restaurant in the Eiffel Tower the day before.
"I asked for a vegetarian meal, they prepped up some eggplant and charged me something like 40 Euros for it, and they told me that they're doing me a favour by cooking it," said Angela. She was horrified, truly.
40 Euros for some aubergines?
I agree it's too much but when you make a reservation at the restaurant, which is 123m above ground, up in one of world's iconic structures, they do warn you of a 400 Euro cancellation fee. I don't blame the restaurant, but I also see Angela's point.

Our little time together took us to the white church on the hill - Sacre-Coeur De Montmarte. It wasn't in my plans, but we went along with the Scotts. The hill of Montmartre is 129m above sea-level, so you can imagine the walk up the hill. Optionally, you can also take the tram for a minimal fee, which was what we did.
"I want Alistair to see this beautiful church. There are a few places that I want him to experience," said Angela, who had been to Paris when she was much younger. The present trip was to share the beauty of Paris with her husband.

The White Church
Montmarte signifies the 'mount of martrys' as it was the place of martydom of Saint Denis, the first bishop of Paris and his companions in the late 3rd century. It was also the place where Saint Ignatius of Loyola and Saint Francois -Xavier founded the Soceity of Jesus (Jesuits) in 1534.  Its architecture, like every building of its standard in Paris is awesome, but I think the real beauty of it is in the location. The great, white church overlooks the city, offering a magnificent view of Paris in blocks of white civilisation. It's really inspiring to just be there, with wind on your face.

"There are some nice cafes and a place where artists gather at the back of the church, just around the corner," Angela pointed out after helping us take a photo with the city as background.


The View
Ten minutes later, we were greeted by colourful canvases with the respective artists behind them. Beautiful pieces on sale, all under a cloudless blue sky. Some original, some not. But there were con artists too. They slithered with French charms, and before we knew it, we had pieces of our portraits being shoved into our hands. All this happened within 2 minutes! At this point, we still had the chance to refuse and walk away, but we wanted to be smiling when we left the place, so we bought them through forced smiles. What the hell. We were on a holiday anyway. The silhouette paper-cutting of me had Jolie lips, Monroe hair and my nose. Since he was bald, my husband's silhouette looked very much like A -Team's Mr. T.

Artists and Works

"10 euros for this. It doesn't even look like Alistair," complained Angela.
That was a discounted price by the way. The price board behind the artists said 20 Euros for each piece.
We left the church area, and got onto the hop-on bus after a wait that seemed forever. The Scotts and us spoke more about the city, and the cities where we come from. The couple was heading North East for more sight-seeing when my husband and I hopped off at the Hard Rock Cafe for a late lunch. A kiss, hug and exchange of contact numbers and addresses, we left while Alistair took photos of us exiting the bus and entering the cafe.
"Please visit us when you're in Cardiff anytime and keep in touch," they said.


Comments

  1. Ah Paris... there's nowhere quite like it

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a portrait from Monmarte too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

An Award on Oscar Day

THANKS for the Kreativ Blogger award on Oscar Day,  Queen Bee . It is sweet to pin a badge like this here and since this is my first award, it's all the more sweet.  With this, I'm required to list out ten random things about myself and later tag six other favourite bloggers.  Let's start with the 10 Random Things :)  1) Diamonds are not for me.  I admire jewelry (fine or otherwise) but I'm not in love with them enough to want to own them. My favourite jewelry is a pair of white pearl stud earrings.  2) I drink water for breakfast, lunch, tea and dinner. It's just a good habit I can't break. I usually write with a bottle of water next to me instead of a mug of coffee.  3) I love balms . Nothing calms me better than a nice balm. It reminds me of my grandma, clears my mind, and puts me to sleep.  4) I keep a hammer in my bedroom.  It came in handy TWICE when the lock jammed. I broke it and set me free. My mother was petrified with the knowledge that m

From Doha, With Love : Minimal Changes

SO I've been to Doha a few times already by now. Minimal or no changes at all on this flat land of sand and sandstorms, except that the population seemed to have increased by god-knows-how-many-folds judging from the volume of people seen at the popular Souk Waqif in the city centre two days ago. It's like people have multiplied like the sea sands. The last few times I was there, I remember liking the place for what it was - a perfect venue to people-watch, smoke Shisha and be a tourist. Now I don't know if that's a good thing... ...if there aren't enough social venues for this astounding volume! Perhaps, I'm a little spoiled coming from a city where food is available 24 hours a day, with freedom of alcohol consumption at random bistros and cafes and to do just about everything I wished for in a cultural setting that doesn't stare at me like I'm some kind of a three-eyed monster. I suppose people here are just a curious bunch given the potpourri of

The Mean One

WHAT do I do without prompts during sluggish times like this. Thanks to Mama Kat's. I'd share something mean someone had said to me once, and why it has stuck with me after all these years.  You know how some people are plain weird ? The type that others would avoid simply because it's the easy way out around them? I've always thought that some of these individuals are just lonely and they could do with company once in a while. That's how I ended up spending some tea breaks with Madam X because most people just avoided her. So yeah. I took pity. Madam X was a smart lady with just too many personal issues that sometimes screwed up her talents. Often in a dreamy state, she loved talking about the drama that went on in her life and I'd always just listened. She also frequently went off topic and lectured about randoms things like what's inside a computer or the circuit of an electrical device. Now that's clearly not my cup of tea but I'd alway