Skip to main content

A Christmas Cornucopia

SOME music touches your soul. It's so powerful, it moves you to tears or laughter, and connects or re-connects you to love, life and hope. Amidst many Christmas albums this year, Annie Lennox's A Christmas Cornucopia, has touched and re-connected me to the spirit of the season at a new level. The entire composition, which is soulful and rich, has been a hair-raising experience for me. I'd like to share the same experience with all, along with a universal hope of love, joy and peace, as we remember the Child, who was born unto us to save humanity. In that pretext, Lennox herself is a great individual in her works towards humanity. The Annie Lennox Foundation raises funds to conduct educational programmes pertaining to HIV/ AIDS for women and children in Africa. So after listening to it on day one, I went back on day two to purchase a few more CDs as gifts. Something as good as this needs to be shared.

I love everything about the album including its cover
The album, which was launched in mid November in the UK and US, comprises Lennox's personal selection of Christmas carols that she had sung as a child. There are 12 songs including some of best loved traditional carols such as The First Noel, Angels From The Realm Of Glory, Silent Night, O Little Town of Bethlehem and The Holly and The Ivy. There are also a few uncommon ones like the Lullay Lullay. I've never heard of it before, but it gripped me the very first time I listened to it at the CD shop. I guess there's a good story there and the drums in the music build it up well too. If you like drums, you'd also notice there are many kinds of drums in the album. I love drums, so I appreciate it.

The last number, Universal Child, is Lennox's own song, which, has been raising funds for the Annie Lennox Foundation. It's a sweet finish to a soul-binding album. Whenever I listen to it, I see Lennox in her element. Her vocal is as good as ever, and you feel the presence of this Christmas child (she was born on Dec 25) in the entire album. I have a feeling it's going to be my all-time favourite Christmas CD.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Healing With Essential Oils

OILS and I go a long way. My mom used a lot of oil on me, growing up. As a teenager, baby oil was my go-to daily face moisturiser. I didn't know then what I know now about synthetic oils but it worked for me. In my early 20s, I fell in love with pure essential oils. I was introduced to the world of Culpeper during work. Then, I was gifted a 50ml bottle of jojoba base oil with two precious bottles of 10ml rose and geranium essentials oils courtesy of Culpeper. I was set for life and I've never looked back ever since. 

Over the years, I have depended on and dwelled solely in beauty oils. Recently, I've started learning about healing through essential oils. It's been a huge eye-opener for me. Essential oils are just not skin deep, they're simply so much more than that. The potent substances extracted through steam distillation from various shrubs, flowers, roots, skin and seeds could have incredible healing powers when used with sensitivity, respect and knowledge. It i…

The Fenty Foundation

I'm breaking the silence for you, Blue Grumpster, with a foundation review, though I'm afraid that Fenty Beauty may not have that cool, sarky blue shade that you are. I can only hope that you're yellow - like me because, let me tell ya, there's a whole lot of delicious, warm shades in that collection of 40 colours. 



So, I've been wearing this stuff for a few days, presenting myself in various, albeit, tropical weather conditions. And, here's what I think. 

Light and non-greasy. Well, it's soft matte. In fact, I expected it to be dry, and flaking off of my skin by midday, but it doesn't. It's light enough for me to gradually build in the kind of coverage I'm looking for, and more importantly, the foundation stays - on my skin, at least. I don't even need to set it with powder, and I love how it refuses to dislodge from my skin, even after a massive sweat session. Truth is, this is probably why I think it's good for me; I'm always sweati…

Hello 2017!

At least this update comes (way) before the first anniversary of my last post. I can live with that. This blog receives a timely jump-start every time I think it's not going to make it. But looking back, I've posted annually since 2010. That isn't too bad considering how I had created it out of complete boredom. So, that can only mean one thing; I've been busy. 

Freelance work was fun for as long as I wanted it but it also made me feel like a hippie. I had too much time on my hands, a wandering mind and a bad neck. That wasn't good, to say the least, but I did enjoy the evenings outdoor, discovering new paths in the quiet forest area not far from where we live, and the freedom I had with time and travel. I spent time like it was some loose change I always had at hand. And then, sometime in mid September, there was a call for work. I felt the conflict in my heart and head. To take the job, or not, because apart from my jungle time sacrifice, there were other things a…