Skip to main content

That Pink Piece

EVERY person who has ever looked at it must have seen it as nothing more than an expensive piece of a loud costume. The kind that has been oddly placed at a clothing department for the rich and boring. The kind you'd pick out just to kill time at the fitting room but never buy. The kind that you'd not purchase even if it is on a 70% discount.

I suppose I never saw it that way. After almost 15 months of openly lusting over it during my numerous mall visits, I was ecstatic when it finally went on sale mid last year. Seventy percent off and no one had gone for it. It sat exactly where it had been over the months amidst the sale-induced chaos. Surely it was meant for me then, that pink piece.



Pink and black

Some say it's obscenely pink. Too pink, or magenta or fushcia. Well, it is pink with black lace contrasting at the hem, neckline and shoulders. The dress sure has a quirky appeal. A matching black, satin sash at the waistline and it even has a little train like the garish pink and black combination isn't dramatic enough. But you know, I wouldn't have bought it if not for the train. There's a playful madness about it - Charlie and the Chocolate Factory style with bold elegance of the Victorian fashion spilled over. It's something Helena Bonham Carter would wear to the Oscars if it isn't pink.

Really, it's a dark dress that comes off as too bright if you think about it. I've been loving it since I first laid eyes on it. But here's the thing. It is a costume after all. 
 I've even seen poorly made, raggedy versions of it at costume rentals. Unless the party theme suggests lots of pink and black in queer, I can't think of enveloping myself in it without grabbing attention I can't handle. I'm quite a reserved person despite what my Instagram account may suggest :p



Halloween isn't big here ( both in Malaysia and Qatar) but Oct 31st may be a good time to put on the pink dress. Perfect with accessories. Like a black hat and a pair of black satin gloves to the elbow. I could be anything from a witch to a vampire or a new fantasy being or simply some one from Charlie's chocolate factory. Well, I'm okay with anything that doesn't require me to have rundown make-up, fake blood or bad hair. I cannot imagine myself being a dead bride or geisha (although technically a vamp is dead). 

I'd be happy to rock a Halloween party in my pink costume and a Cosmo in one hand if I go for one later this month! I think the idea of a pink getup can be Halloween-worthy scary too (if being scary is the point). 


*post inspired by Mama Kat's : Favourite Halloween Costume 


Mama’s Losin’ It

Comments

  1. I think anything goes in a costume; it's the time to be crazy and outrageous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's the best part about getting into a costume - you can be anything you want !
      :)

      Delete
  2. Excellent Find - You look terrific - and . . whoever you choose to become - have a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually love the dress. But then, I'm fond of quirky clothing, despite the fact I don't wear it often these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. quirky clothes are fun!
      we shall not be discouraged :)

      Delete
  4. I think it's adorable. I'd wear it all the time.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's pretty, Janie but i don't think i can wear it all the time though :)

      Delete
  5. You look jaw dropping in this Jaya, personally I obviously wouldn't wear too much pink but I can't see it as being too pink, you look so beautiful, I have no problems with this dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh thanks Matthew ! pink is not a bad colour for men. the lighter shades are really good i think. try it :)

      Delete
  6. I think it would look great with opera gloves (that's what they call the to-the-elbow kind)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. opera gloves! thanks for that :)

      Delete
  7. A striking frock! Now all you need is an outrageous hat to complement it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! i think so too :)

      btw, whoever who invented the word frock to describe certain clothes should be shot with a rubber band, don't you think GB ? what an awful sounding word.

      Delete
  8. That is SO cute!! I'm glad you went for it and I think you look so good in it. Could totally get away with wearing that to a party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Mama Kat !
      now all i need is a party :)

      Delete
  9. You look stunning Jaya. I covet you and your perfect pinkness!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like it! It would be hard not feel amazing in that dress.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've always wanted a pink dress shirt but I haven't found any that I've liked so far. :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah, you look fantastic.... and you are sorely missed :(

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

An Award on Oscar Day

THANKS for the Kreativ Blogger award on Oscar Day,  Queen Bee . It is sweet to pin a badge like this here and since this is my first award, it's all the more sweet.  With this, I'm required to list out ten random things about myself and later tag six other favourite bloggers.  Let's start with the 10 Random Things :)  1) Diamonds are not for me.  I admire jewelry (fine or otherwise) but I'm not in love with them enough to want to own them. My favourite jewelry is a pair of white pearl stud earrings.  2) I drink water for breakfast, lunch, tea and dinner. It's just a good habit I can't break. I usually write with a bottle of water next to me instead of a mug of coffee.  3) I love balms . Nothing calms me better than a nice balm. It reminds me of my grandma, clears my mind, and puts me to sleep.  4) I keep a hammer in my bedroom.  It came in handy TWICE when the lock jammed. I broke it and set me free. My mother was petrified with the knowledge that m

Me, Myself and I

LOVELY Miss  Azra  has tagged me. It's fun once in a while to do this sort of thing and questions here seem doable too. I'll try to keep my answers short and sweet, resisting the urge to ramble since it's all about Me, Myself and I ! 1. What is your favourite saying, or motto ?  It doesn't matter. Don't worry about it.  Basically, I just try to see the positives in most shitty situations. Realistically.   2. What is your dream job ?  It ranges from being a tour guide, a travel writer and a secret agent to a medical rep, a rose picker for Chanel gardens in France and an English teacher to those under 12. I'm allergic to teenagers. 3. What part of the world do you have little interest in travelling to ? And which part of the world is next on your list ?  I have little interest in Jakarta and Bangladesh, or any place where the temperature is -45 Deg Celcius for most of the year.  My dream destination is Africa. Next on list is either Africa or New York

From Doha, With Love : Minimal Changes

SO I've been to Doha a few times already by now. Minimal or no changes at all on this flat land of sand and sandstorms, except that the population seemed to have increased by god-knows-how-many-folds judging from the volume of people seen at the popular Souk Waqif in the city centre two days ago. It's like people have multiplied like the sea sands. The last few times I was there, I remember liking the place for what it was - a perfect venue to people-watch, smoke Shisha and be a tourist. Now I don't know if that's a good thing... ...if there aren't enough social venues for this astounding volume! Perhaps, I'm a little spoiled coming from a city where food is available 24 hours a day, with freedom of alcohol consumption at random bistros and cafes and to do just about everything I wished for in a cultural setting that doesn't stare at me like I'm some kind of a three-eyed monster. I suppose people here are just a curious bunch given the potpourri of