Skip to main content

Storms and Panty-Lining Dust

THESE flat, concrete roofs are cool considering the howling northerly wind at 50km/h that's going on right now. No flying roof tiles or any such threats. I actually feel safe. 

We're currently in the midst of a dust storm since Friday. The weather report projects that the storm will last till Wednesday. While it's not uncommon to have dust storms here, I've never experienced a case of constant strong winds that last for days before in my life. Given the landscape, the wind brings with it tiny sand particles that layer as dust in our homes. No matter how shut you think your house is, the dust has a way to get in and line your panties (figuratively speaking that is!). The particles are that fine, as fine as how your best loose powder should be. 

My cable TV has been gone since Saturday and the Internet is trippy. Outside, well, it's dusty, sandy and windy. Imagine standing next to a helicopter with its blades still running. Sometimes the wind is that intense. It makes perfect sense why the locals wear the all-covering robes that they do: the covers let the sands slide off them without getting onto the body. Sand in the eyes or nasal passage is like drowning in a pool of sand I imagine.  




The first video from top was taken by me. I suck at it but you see the moving sands. The second clip was by a friend. A much better video. Notice the waves. It's like they're alive. They dance and twirl, and, fly and flip, and, hover and crawl, it's both magical and dangerous. In worst cases, a storm obstructs visibility, making driving difficult. Needless to say speeding on this condition can cause accidents. Too much sand on  the driveway reduces grip. 

(From left) Notice the thick layer of dust on the balcony sofa.
The pool is a mess with sand at the bottom and floating debris.
I washed this jar just yesterday. See the dust on it this morning. 
The temperature today on a pix taken during a calm, clear day. 

During a strong wind two weeks ago, my friend and I experienced a scary 'turbulence' while sitting in our immobile car in an empty, open parking lot at West Bay, Doha. I mean the car shook like it was being possessed. The trees outside were flailing crazy like they were going to come off the ground any time and drag us with them. I almost saw my life flash before me. We held hands and sat still till calm returned and the tall, date palms went back to looking normal. 

"What the hell was that?"

"I don't know. Sure felt like an earthquake. Let's get out of here before the Tsunami". 

We were by the bay after all. 

Thinking back, I'm grateful that I'm inside this flat-roofed box of a house right now. I can deal with the threatening panty-lining dust later.  

Young dates.
 I don't think I've ever seen fresh dates on a tree
before coming here. 


Comments

  1. I can't see the video Jaya but life in Doha sounds like an incredible experience, there's so much natural beauty around, it just sounds like an amazing place to live, just absolutely amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry Matthew! i suck at these things but another video is up and hope you could see it now. many ppl don't like here at first...may take them a while or a long while or not at all but i guess, i can adept to it.

      Delete
  2. the only dates I ever see around here are the dried versions that don't look so great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's the only kind of dates i've seen before i came here, Adam.

      Delete
  3. Wow, I guess people like me tend to forget that Doha is a desert. When I lived in Cape Town, we had similar problems with sand dust because of the very strong winds that would carry beach sand inland. Hope the storm comes to an end soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey Azra! today it's much calmer. windy but not as bad with the dust. if the desert sands dont travel with the wind, i think i'd be a perfect place for me :)

      Delete
  4. Yuck, i think my ocd would have a fit with all that dust about

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing....interesting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hope the vids were helpful, Sheila.

      Delete
  6. I've never been in a sandstorm, and I think it would freak me out. Of course, some people would be appalled by the blizzards I experienced when I lived in Maryland and might prefer a sandstorm.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you're right. what i'm experiencing here isn't half as bad as some thunderstorms or your blizzards, Janie.
      hope you're well and fine.

      Delete
    2. Yes, I am well. Thanks.

      Delete
  7. Line my panties? What do you know about my panties? You knowing about them somehow sounds more scary than that sandstorm, Jaya J. But now that I've got a picture of your finger, I'll zoom in on it with my special blue spyglass and find out everything about you that I need to know. I mean that in a non-James-Bond kind of way and more in a let's-read-your-hand (finger) kind of way. So let's see... you hate dust... you love sunny days (without too much dust).... and you suck at making videos. Pardon my Swedish, but I'm just quoting the finger. ;)

    A few more days to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh Blue, i don't want to know about your panties! i'd be more than happy to show you my full palm so you could read everything about me.
      :)
      not so bad today. its windy but maybe st 30km/h or less. when it's wind from the south, then we know that it's peak of summer. eeks. 52deg :)

      Delete
    2. 52 degrees... I assume centigrade... That's like living in an oven. I hope there's plenty of water for you to dive into.

      Delete
  8. I've only seen sand move like that on the beach. I never witnessed a dust storm whenI was in Saudi Arabia - must have been the wrong time of year? Sounds miserable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hello! hope you are well.
      yeah, you're right. probably it was a different season. it's not fun of course but i feel it's much better than thunderstorms ?
      where i come from, the thunderstorms can be really bad. i don't miss it.

      Delete
  9. The only thing I could see on the videos were patches of discolouration in the sky that came and went. How did you protect your eyes? Sunglasses?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh really, GB? i'm sorry i don't know why you see that.
      i suppose we don't really think of eye protection because we are not outdoors during these times but yes, sunglasses.
      some cover their faces with a thin cloth. i just pity those who have to work outdoors like the labourers but during summer peak and bad weather times, they are not allowed out to work.

      Delete
    2. hehe. trust you Blue man.

      Delete
    3. How's life, Jaya J? Much less windy I hope.

      Delete
  10. Jaya. Me no like. I would be afraid to breathe in such a situation and would have to don one of those masks like Michael Jackson used to wear or people who are afraid of germs. And sand. I'd always have my big sunglasses on anyway but I'd look kind of ridiculous.

    I think it's best to stay in and read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. hehe. i know right, Juliette! it's no fun of course. my sinusitis gets triggered easily in such conditions. i love sunnies :) here, you wear em all the time when you're outdoors. it's too bright outside.

    yeah. in and read :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'll trade you. We almost had a tornado in the city this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jaya, how come Damien's bad luck is always worse than ours? Do you have a theory? I mean, I turned him into a superhero (CLICK) and he calls himself the Incredible Sulk.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

An Award on Oscar Day

THANKS for the Kreativ Blogger award on Oscar Day,  Queen Bee . It is sweet to pin a badge like this here and since this is my first award, it's all the more sweet.  With this, I'm required to list out ten random things about myself and later tag six other favourite bloggers.  Let's start with the 10 Random Things :)  1) Diamonds are not for me.  I admire jewelry (fine or otherwise) but I'm not in love with them enough to want to own them. My favourite jewelry is a pair of white pearl stud earrings.  2) I drink water for breakfast, lunch, tea and dinner. It's just a good habit I can't break. I usually write with a bottle of water next to me instead of a mug of coffee.  3) I love balms . Nothing calms me better than a nice balm. It reminds me of my grandma, clears my mind, and puts me to sleep.  4) I keep a hammer in my bedroom.  It came in handy TWICE when the lock jammed. I broke it and set me free. My mother was petrified with the knowledge that m

Me, Myself and I

LOVELY Miss  Azra  has tagged me. It's fun once in a while to do this sort of thing and questions here seem doable too. I'll try to keep my answers short and sweet, resisting the urge to ramble since it's all about Me, Myself and I ! 1. What is your favourite saying, or motto ?  It doesn't matter. Don't worry about it.  Basically, I just try to see the positives in most shitty situations. Realistically.   2. What is your dream job ?  It ranges from being a tour guide, a travel writer and a secret agent to a medical rep, a rose picker for Chanel gardens in France and an English teacher to those under 12. I'm allergic to teenagers. 3. What part of the world do you have little interest in travelling to ? And which part of the world is next on your list ?  I have little interest in Jakarta and Bangladesh, or any place where the temperature is -45 Deg Celcius for most of the year.  My dream destination is Africa. Next on list is either Africa or New York

From Doha, With Love : Minimal Changes

SO I've been to Doha a few times already by now. Minimal or no changes at all on this flat land of sand and sandstorms, except that the population seemed to have increased by god-knows-how-many-folds judging from the volume of people seen at the popular Souk Waqif in the city centre two days ago. It's like people have multiplied like the sea sands. The last few times I was there, I remember liking the place for what it was - a perfect venue to people-watch, smoke Shisha and be a tourist. Now I don't know if that's a good thing... ...if there aren't enough social venues for this astounding volume! Perhaps, I'm a little spoiled coming from a city where food is available 24 hours a day, with freedom of alcohol consumption at random bistros and cafes and to do just about everything I wished for in a cultural setting that doesn't stare at me like I'm some kind of a three-eyed monster. I suppose people here are just a curious bunch given the potpourri of